PLARN Sandals

CrochetDad

I just finished - well, actually, I started and finished today - these PLARN Sandals. I'll be entering them in the "Recycled Wearable Art" contest at the San Diego County Fair tomorrow.

Yes, they're wearable!

Oh, if you're not familiar with the term "PLARN" - it's PLastic yARN - made from those plastic shopping bags you get at retail stores. These came from The Home Depot!

post-13211-135897420881_thumb.jpg

post-13211-135897420882_thumb.jpg

These are definitely a winner!!! You are so creative and do such good work!!!!

Good luck and keep us posted.

OMGoodness.......... those are the neatest! Good luck at the fair with them!

Those are seriously fun! Great work!!!

:heart

:mug

*Bag Lady #39*

OH THAT'S AWESOME!!! Is the pattern yours? LOVE THIS!!!! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

No pattern - I saw these on crafster.org and just started crocheting my own version. I actually started to try to copy those, but decided I wanted mine to be more personal, so I started over and did my own version. I'll let you know how I did - the contest is today.

If anyone is going to the Fair today - I'll be wearing my yellow "Cheerios" shirt. Stop me and say "Hi!"

I think the sandals are awesome and should do well in this contest. But, on a more practical note, are they comfortable to wear and how will they hold up when used? I realize you just made them so you don't know, but if you do use them, please share how they work out in practice.

I think the sandals are awesome and should do well in this contest. But, on a more practical note, are they comfortable to wear and how will they hold up when used? I realize you just made them so you don't know, but if you do use them, please share how they work out in practice.

They're very comfortable - I'll let you know about the durability. I may wear them after the contest (at least a little while).

I've purchased a drop spindle (ordered from Walmart.com) and would like to see if I can improve the PLARN with it.

Congratulations !!!!! You did a great job!!!!!

How did they hold up when you wore them for a period of time?

Congratulations !!!!! You did a great job!!!!!

How did they hold up when you wore them for a period of time?

I wore them around for a short time in the Home Arts building, and decided for the rest of the Fair, I'd slip my sneakers back on for more arch support. It's almost like walking around barefoot! They're extremely light and cool.

I had a lot of comments on them, though - one comment I got that I hadn't thought of is that they would be great for the beach - the sand would fall right through and they're also water-proof! A reporter was there for a local paper (print and online) and she is going to do an article on me - I'll post the link when I get it. I thought she'd want to interview the first place winner, but she seemed very interested in my sandals.

• 2 weeks later...

Those are super cool! Thank you for posting these and the link to the original idea. I love both ideas. I like yours in brown a lot (although I don't have home depot bags...).

I wonder how these would look under crochet socks.... I need some open shoes for those...

Archived