darski

"the poor didn't want these" final in post 79

Is this cheerful and bright or just garish?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Is this cheerful and bright or just garish?

• It's cheerful and bright :D
    • I'm far too nice a person to vote on this ;)
    • It's just plain garish, deal with it :(

I loved that line from "The Sound of Music" but now I have to choose whether a lapghan should be donated to "the poor" :rofl

I made this (mostly) during the June Charity event, I struggled with the pattern and the colours during that weekend and it was only my Scottish frugality that made me finish it to this point. The challenge at this point is to determine whether it is bright and cheerful or just plain garish.

I need to decide whether it is worth it to use up my good staple white yarn on a border or whether I should just call it done and find some closet space.

post-4896-135897420326_thumb.jpg

check post 79 for the final pics of this completed ghan

post-4896-135897420321_thumb.jpg

Edited by darski

Well, it is both bright and cheerful AND loud and garish, it really just depends on your taste. I think it's cheerful, I know my husband would hate the colours. The thing is, aside from the fact that everyone's taste is different, everyone's perception of colour varies slightly, and culture also determines what kind of colours people find pretty (i.e. bright lime/neon green is a big no-no in Ireland, and very 'in' in Spain.)

Anyway, long story short: donate it. Someone will surely love it and appreciate the bright and cheery colours.

BTW: the pattern is very pretty and your handiwork is just gorgeous. Beautiful stitching.

Edited by Miss Crochet
How do you solve a problem like a lapghan?

I think it's pretty! The stitchwork is beautiful! Donate it proudly!

I think it is very pretty, bright and cheerful. Your work is lovely. :yes

Darski- It is very bright and cherry and your work is amazing! I love it!

I like it and think it is very cheerful. You do beautiful work!!! Put a pretty border on it and I'm sure you will feel differently. I'm sure it will cheer up someone who might be ill, depressed or "down".

It looks like you have a unanamous concensus here. It's very bright and cheerful.

I think it is just great and reminds me of oranges and lemons:)

Well, it's bright and cheerful and before you stick it in a closet, you can donate it to ME! :rofl Seriously, I love it and I bet it would brighten anyone's day that received it.

If you ask me it looks like a bed of mums, very pretty.:hook

Darski, donate it. It is so bright and cheerful it will bring a big smile to somebody.

it reminds me of the colors of my biological father's living room ...red furniture and gold shag carpeting. on another note my DH saw it and made this suggestion...first it is nice...second it would make a beautiful wall hanging. He rarely comments on my work so you knw this has to have impressed him. From me. i live down the road from an assisted living facility the residents there would love something cheery and bright like this. I say donate with pride...the pattern is lovely, intricate and elegant. Someone is going to be blessed with your hard work and coming from the "poor" I know that it will be appreciated by someone.

Definitely do a border, and definitely put it on ETSY! The retro 70's color combination is very in right now and someone will buy it.

By the way, the pattern itself is gorgeous!

I love it - if someone gifted me with this, I would be in 7th heaven. Lovely work!

There's a little old lady in a nursing home somewhere that is going to LOVE that!

I would do the border and donate it.

It is Pretty and your stitching is georgeous!

It looks like something a teenager would love to have in her room.

I would donate it proudly.

(and I love the Sound of Music Too!!!)

I am definitely with everyone else on this, Darski - Such beautifully cheerful work should not be relegated to the darkness of a closet, but shared to brighten another's day. Thank you for brightening ours!

I wonder how a border, alternating your 3 colors, would wrap things up?

A patient in a long term care or rehab facility would adore this, Darski. It's beautiful and bright and cheerful, like a lapful of flowers.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder...i love it and would be thrilled to get it as a gift...so someone will love it.. i vote it give it to someone in your local hospice...i know it would brighten up someones day there

I am definitely with everyone else on this, Darski - Such beautifully cheerful work should not be relegated to the darkness of a closet, but shared to brighten another's day. Thank you for brightening ours!

I wonder how a border, alternating your 3 colors, would wrap things up?

I have been debating that as well. It would save some of my (precious) white yarn.

:hug

Some where there is someone who will think this really a pretty piece and love the colors too. It also reminds me of flowers or fall season. Love the lacy look of it.