Stitch Marker

crosette

Could you not use two pairs of needle nose pliers - one to hold it steady and the other to pull it apart?

I looked in the toolbox (we actually have one :D) but there are no needle nose pliers in there (there isn't much of anything in there :P). Now I'm trying to open a bigger safety pin...but can't. :( Any other ideas?

Oh, baby! I love them! :manyheart

:hug That's good....cuz you're gettin' some. :D

• 1 year later...

Hey. We used to do that and put them on our top tennis shoe lace. I forget what they were called. Friendship pins or something.

:( Man I feel old now....

Cute pins though! They would work better as a stitch marker.

Tina

Wow, great idea! Here's my dumb question: what makes them harder to open now? Is it just wear and tear or do the beads get in the way somewhat?

That's a great idea!

I never thought of using safety pins as stitch markers (dahhhh!). I used paper clips but sometimes they fall.

You stitch markers are great. Actually, I've already seen jewelry made with safety pins and beads and it's really nice.

:D

Here are some more:

th_thirdset.jpg

(clickable)

I really like making them but it's getting harder to open them. I've been using a plier(?) to squeeze them closed but the opening is killing my fingers. :( Any ideas on something I can use to get them open w/o hurting myself??

:clap These sure are cute!!!

Back when we were making the flags with little saftey pins and beads,I used the old fashioned steel nail file,,,remember those?

Long and pointy,, they worked well!

It was thin enough to slide that area open enough to get the bead through but not mess it up,, :yes

• 1 year later...

Now they make a tool for opening split rings...the ones like a keychain, they work well to open both the split rings and the pins..however, I lost mine so I'm back to using needlenose pliers again lol. I like to do safetypin stitchmarkers also.I usually make them with bead "charms" hanging from them.The safety pins are much more economical so therefore I can make so many more for my hooking friends using them....:)

They look lovely! Could you not use two pairs of needle nose pliers - one to hold it steady and the other to pull it apart? I remember making these back in the old days to go onto my tennis shoe laces but I can not remember how I got them apart!

Those are pretty!

They do make safety pins withOUT the coil. That would solve your problem and save your fingers! You can usually find coiless safety pins in the store's quilter's section. They come in a few sizes and in silver or goldtone. With the coiless pins, you can use larger beads and I use the letter and the number beads for my markers. I also put a tiny bit of glue in the last bead closed to the curve, just so they can't move. I have a couple sets of the letter pins, and as soon as I start a project I will place a pin with the corresponding letter of my hook. Then when I find that project 6 months later in a bag, I will know what hook I used! With the number beads, you can use those for marking 10 rows, 20 rows, 30 rows, 40 rows, or whatever numbers you think you might need. I love my safety pins!!

Archived