Diplohookticus Jimbosei and spider webs

jimbo

An event is in the making to promote Crochet on a BIG scale!!!

You all know, of course, Diplohookticus Jimbosei (Dippy), the world's biggest crochet hook? Sure you do. But what you don't know is that Dippy is very near being booked for an appearance and Guinness Book of Records performance in Portland Oregon the last part of October (mabye even Halloween!).

Rockpoolcandy, (from Ireland) is an internationally known freeform crochet artist (known for her coral reef wall hangings and HUGE crochet where she uses her ARM as a hook (

). Rockpoolcandy will be coming to Portland to take Dippy for a spin at the start of an event where the end result will be a HUGE spiderweb made by what we're hoping will be a Woodstock sized group of crocheting spidey web makers.

Sound like fun? Mark out the last part of October and start travel plans for a waltz with Dippy and join a throng of hook weilding would-be spiders in Portland!

The project is still in the formative stages but I wanted to post here now in hopes of getting some Portland Area crochetiers to volunteer help and participate. Updates to follow.

Jimbo

I think I've created a monster. A little praise and he's getting this "hookier than thou" attitude.

uh oh...careful Dippy... ;) ...pride goeth before a fall and all that!

Jimbo, PLEASE oh Please post pics of the big event when it happens. (and make sure you link to your blog in the post too. :hook)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
An event is in the making to promote Crochet on a BIG scale!!!

You all know, of course, Diplohookticus Jimbosei (Dippy), the world's biggest crochet hook? Sure you do. But what you don't know is that Dippy is very near being booked for an appearance and Guinness Book of Records performance in Portland Oregon the last part of October (mabye even Halloween!).

Rockpoolcandy, (from Ireland) is an internationally known freeform crochet artist (known for her coral reef wall hangings and HUGE crochet where she uses her ARM as a hook (

). Rockpoolcandy will be coming to Portland to take Dippy for a spin at the start of an event where the end result will be a HUGE spiderweb made by what we're hoping will be a Woodstock sized group of crocheting spidey web makers.

Sound like fun? Mark out the last part of October and start travel plans for a waltz with Dippy and join a throng of hook weilding would-be spiders in Portland!

The project is still in the formative stages but I wanted to post here now in hopes of getting some Portland Area crochetiers to volunteer help and participate. Updates to follow.

Jimbo

The dates are set! Oct 30 and 31st at "Twisted Yarns" in Portland Oregon! RockpoolCandy will be there all the way from Ireland to give Dippy a waltz around the shop, and to run the event along with Ravelry's "Crochet Liberation Front" leader Laurie Wheeler. The event includes wheels spinning yarn, and crochetiers crocheting the yarn into a HUGE spider web.

I'll be there too (Dippy needs a "chaperone", so I'll be there hopefully to keep him civil and subdued).

Mark your calendars! Use some of those air miles you've been accumulating! Come to Portland!!

Hours for the event: Friday, Oct 30, 5pm - 8pm; and Saturday Oct 31, Noon till 5pm. Come spin, crochet, and help fill Dippy's dance card!!!

Very cool! I was wondering what had become of Dippy. I thought maybe Bigfoot got him.

Love the pic with the hat :lol

:lol and now bigfoot is working on his granny square scrapghan! It is going to be a gift for Yeti, it gets so cold you know!

Sure would be fantastic to actually meet you guys in person. AND I know Dippy will be crushed if his dance card isn't full.

But I understand. Heck its a 6 hour drive from here to there, and THATS a long ways to travel, especially with a self centered, egotistical, arrogant Diplohookticus in the same vehicle.

Ever since Dippy got hugs from LadyLinoleum and Jenna, he's got this idea he's a ladies' hook. I think the swelled headed lunk is in for a surprize when crochetiers try to lift him. Even though he's lost weight (3lb over the summer), its bound to be a challenge to sc. Still it's going to be fun watching folks try!

Come to think of it, with dippy there'll be a whole new grip debate, underarm or over arm. Over shoulder? We'll just have to see.

Love your latest blog post!!!! Wish I lived closer as I wuld love to meet both you and Dippy in person. Looking forward to seeing photos of the event. Best of luck to you and Dippy. May your journy together be filled with fun and many pleasent memories.

• 3 weeks later...

Welp, Dippy's all cleaned up (he's not the picture of good grooming) and we're packed and ready to go over the river and through the woods to Portland and "Twisted Yarns". Been hearing lots of great things about that shop.

I'm really excited to meet everyone, and Dippy's so pumped he cracked again. I keep telling him to chill out, spackle doesn't look good on him. But hay, try to tell a hook anything, eh?

Anxious to meet you, Miss Madeline and everyone who can make it to the event.

Dippy had a GREAT time!! Got hugs from lots of talented crochetiers AND Rockpool Candy took him for 10 stitches in the spider web we made... then Laurie Wheeler of Ravelry's Crochet Liberation Front took him for ANOTHER ten!! And the famous Bullion Queen and Freeform Artist Bonnie Pierce even played with him for a spell. Had a GREAT time.

Smiling is putting it kindly. He was ECSTATIC being oooo'd and ahhhhh'd over by all those good lookin and talented ladies.

Archived