Tunisian Double Crochet Shawl - Lace Weight Merino

chirpy

Hi All. Just joined yesterday. Wanted to show my newest piece - even though it isn't as glamorous as some of the show and tell items. You all do such beautiful intricate work!

This is a very long shawl made for my online friend for her birthday. She should get it in a few days and I hope she likes it.

It is made in Tunisian Double Crochet - using a "J" Tunisian Hook which is very large for the lace weight yarn to give it a loose open structure. The yarn is Knitpicks Merino Lace-weight - natural, non-dyed, non-bleached, bulk packaged yarn (100 gram (that's 3.5 ounces I think) package you have to roll your own ball). Uber soft and light - but surprisingly cozy. I used about 4.5 ounces of yarn. No pattern, I just make things my own way because I have fits over figuring out patterns. I think it would be a 4-season shawl. In warm weather it makes a good shawl, but I think in winter it could be scrunched up around your neck as a scarf, or tossed over top your head to keep the snow and chill off.

Hope you like it. I have to make one for myself now.

post-29971-135897419496_thumb.jpg

post-29971-135897419499_thumb.jpg

post-29971-135897419501_thumb.jpg

post-29971-135897419503_thumb.jpg

post-29971-135897419506_thumb.jpg

post-29971-135897419509_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your kind words, Croninny Nanna and Belinda.

Thank you, Melissa and Kathy! So nice to be able to talk with other crocheters and get feedback.

Karen, I just went to look at your blog and found your doilies posted here. http://ukrakovianki.blogspot.com/2009/01/work-of-her-fingers.html How completely delicate and beautiful! I'm sure you'd have no trouble at all learning more tunisian - you definitely have loads of ability. I picked up what I know through youtube and learned the double on a web site somewhere. One of the added benefits of using the lightweight yarns / thread is that it goes a very long way when the stitches are so open - making the materials much more affordable.

Thank you, Valery. It isn't hard at all. It would be good to first learn the tunisian simple stitch. The chain and the first few rows are a little hard to hold onto, especially if you use a small hook since the piece will roll up, but after you have a few rows it is no trouble at all even with a smaller hook. With a very large hook, there was no rolling/curling at all to fend off. After you practice the simple stitch, the double is just one small extra step. You hook the yarn once before inserting it, and then hook through again to complete that stitch. You'll have a stitch standing up just like regular tunisian - but you made extra height with that yarn over step. The return row is exactly like any other tunisian stitch return row. The only catch to all this is that double tunisian crochet requires you to hold the stitch with your fingers while you're inserting the hook - it helps keep the stitches all the same height. When I didn't hold the stitch between my fingers the heights would be uneven. I could show you much easier than explain it. I bet this doesn't make sense if you can't see it. Trust me - once you do it, you'll say, "this is easy!"

Thank you, Quiet Dissident. :)

PS: I should have added this: on the final stitch of the row, instead of putting the hook behind only the front vertical bar, I put the hook behind the front bar and another bar at the back of the piece, which gave it a finished edge.

You're all making me have a very good day!

You all really put a big smile on my face. Thank you very much. Feels so good to get feedback from you all.

Anyone who is considering trying Tunisian, give it a try. You can even practice using a regular crochet hook before you buy a long Tunisian one. For a while I just put my rubbery hook grip dangling off the handle end to keep any yarn from falling off the edge. Worked fine although it looked silly. :) I made another shawl out of worsted weight in standard simple stitch with the same j-hook, and it is like a beautiful rug - so cozy and tightly woven, I love it. That one was as easy as it gets to make, too. Give it a try. I probably still have the youtube videos bookmarked that helped me learn if anyone wants the addresses just pm me and I'll look them up. :)

Thank you all, very much. You've made me feel very good about my work.

Thank you, Monique. :)

I wouldn't mind writing up directions if anyone would like them. Although I have to warn you, I don't know how to write a pattern, I've never done it. I am making a second one now and making it just a little wider. If anyone wants me to take pics of certain steps or anything, I'll try to do it.

Archived