Raverly???

LoopyCrochet

I want to join but I don't really know whats on there?! I know it's a knit and crochet community...but...that's about it! Can you share patterns on there? Is it like Crochetville? Should I even take the time to join??? Any info will help.

Thanks in advance!

-Baylee:crocheting

Just join! It's message boards, you can keep track of your projects, your yarn and have access to thousands of free patterns. You'll easily waste several hours a day on there for a while!

I want to join but I don't really know whats on there?! I know it's a knit and crochet community...but...that's about it! Can you share patterns on there? Is it like Crochetville? Should I even take the time to join??? Any info will help.

Thanks in advance!

-Baylee:crocheting

I'm not sure what you mean about "share patterns." If you mean can you share copies of patterns with other members, then the answer is no. Ravelry respects copyright laws just like we do here.

What you probably mean, though, is can you share by posting information about where patterns can be found. If that's the question, then the answer is yes. In fact, many designers are actually selling their patterns through Ravelry. There's a searchable pattern database with information about where you can find the pattern (in a book for purchase, on Ravelry for purchase, on a designer's website for purchase, on a designer's site for free, etc.).

Ravelry is quite a bit different from Crochetville, although there are some similarities. It's also predominantly knitters, although there are a number of crocheters there, too.

Now that I'm getting to know it, I love Ravelry more and more.

The best bit for me, at the moment at least, is that when you're choosing a new pattern, you can view pictures of what other people have done with it. It gives me a much better idea of whether I'm going to like the finished article. (eg how it works in different yarns, how it looks on different body shapes etc)

I struggle with the pattern seach facility, but the browse option seems more intuitive.

Here are two threads that helped me understand what Ravelry is about:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1573523#post1573523

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94835&highlight=ravelry

A particularly helpful post is #9 on that first link.

There are tons of free patterns on Ravelry! I'll probably never have to buy another one and that's BOTH knit and crochet. (Don't believe people who say it's all about knitting because it's so not! there's lots of crochet people there!) A very useful tool is the yarn search. You can see what people made from nearly any yarn, see comments on the yarn, etc. It's helpful when you're trying to decide on a yarn for a project. I think it's an awesome place. It even helped me get organized with my stash and tools. I really like the needles and hooks section. I was having trouble keeping track of different sized circular needles and now I know exactly what I have at all times. Same with my yarn. Also, you can put projects in your queue and see all the things you wanna make and know you'll never get time to. :hook

You'll easily waste several hours a day on there for a while!

Ain't that the truth!!! :yes But it's so much fun! :devil

I don't think you can do it yourself. You'd have to email them and ask them to do it. What you can do is erase your stash, projects, and any personal info you put in about yourself, if you wanted to.

Another thing you can do at Ravelry that I didn't mention is buy YARN, he he. People sell or trade that odd ball of yarn leftover from a project or yarn they purchased but no longer want to use. They often let it go for less than what you'd pay in a store so it's a good way to try out an expensive yarn to see what it's like. I just saw a ball of Noro with my name on it. :D

Archived