The Chubby Butterfly Square (6"inches)

champygirl

* 7/17/09- I decided to add alternative direction for the wings. I like them the way they are, I think they have a cleaner curve to them ( just a preference), but some people don't care for the backside of the stitches showing on the wings. I thank them for their opinions and appreciate them trying out the pattern (thank you:yes) and have decided to add the Alt Wings Directions because of that. The only real difference is your joining the yarn having the wrong side of the butterfly towards you. This way the front of the stitches will be showing instead of the backs. If you have any problems just give me a pm, and I'll try to help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Chubby Butterfly Square

post-11825-135897416718_thumb.jpg
Photobucket pic link:
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/champygirl_photos/Pattern%20diagrams/tcbsqare.jpg
Copyright to champygirl June 17, 2009

Materials:

Size H hook (5.00mm)
Worsted weight yarn in 3 different colors
(Body Color, Wing Color, Square Color)
Yarn needle (to weave in ends)

Finish Size: About 6” x 6” inches

Different Sts:
Treble Crochet (tc): Yarn over twice, insert hook in next st, yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through 2 loops, yarn over, pull through 2 more loops, yarn over, pull through last 2 loops.

Note: In the pattern you will be working in front loops and back loops when specified.

Butterfly:

Body:

Part 1: With body color Ch3, 12 dc in 3rd chain from hook, join with sl st to front loop of first dc. (12dc)

Part 2: * Ch4, sl st in 2nd chain from hook and in each of the next 2 chains*, sl st in front loop of each of the next 2 sts, Repeat from * to * once, sl st in front loop of next st. Finish off and weave in ends.

Wing 1:

Part 1: Join wing color with a sc in front loop of next st beside last sl st of body. Ch4, sc in front loop of next st, ch3, sc in front loop of next st, ch3 and turn.

Part 2: 1 tc in sc, (1 tc, 1 dc, 1 hdc, 1 sc) all in ch3 space, sl st in sc, (sc, ch3, 5 tc, 1 dc) all in ch4 space, ch2, sl st in next sc. Finish off and weave in ends.

Wing 2:

Part 1: Join wing color with a sc to front loop of the 3rd st from lower part of wing 1. Ch3, sc in front loop of next st, Ch4, sc in next front loop of next st, ch2 and turn.

Part 2: (1 dc, 5 tc, ch3, 1 sc) all in ch4 space, sl st in next sc, (1 sc, 1 hdc, 1 dc, 1 tc) all in ch3 space, 1 tc in next sc, ch3, sl st in same st. Finish off and weave in ends.

*Alt Wings Directions:
Wing 1:

Part 1: Turn the butterfly's body (so wrong side is towards you) and join the wing color to the back loop (this will leave the loop towards you free) of the third dc from last sl st made with a sc, ch3, sc in backloop of next st, ch4, sc in back loop of next st, ch2 and turn.

Part 2: (1dc, 5 tc, ch3, 1sc) all in ch4 space, sl st in next sc, (1 sc, 1 hdc, 1dc, 1 tc) all in ch3 space, 1 tc in next sc, ch3, sl st in same st. Finish off and weave in ends.

Wing 2:

Part 1: Turn the butterfly's body (so wrong side is towards you) Join the wing color to the backloop (this will leave the loop towards you free) of the 5th dc of butterfly's body from lower wing (of wing 1) with a sc, ch4, sc in back loop of next st, ch3, sc in back loop of next st, ch3 and turn.

Part 2: 1 tc in sc, (1 tc, 1dc, 1hdc, 1 sc) all in ch3 space, sl st in next sc, (1 sc, ch3, 5 tc, 1 dc) all in ch4 space, ch2, sl st in next sc. Finish off and weave in ends.

This way you start part one of the wings on the wrong side so part two of the wings the front of the sts is on the rightside.

Square:

Note: You will now be working into the back loops only of the butterfly’s body. Do not work into part 2 of body, your only working into part 1, into back loops lefts free.

When starting square, make sure the right side of the butterfly is facing you. You will be able to tell the difference because on the wrong side you will see the back loops left unworked. (especially where the sc are worked in from part one of the wings.) You may need to fold the wing over to get to the back loops ( of body) to do Rnd 1 of square.

Rnd 1: Join square color with a sl st to back loop behind the center sc of part 1 of wing 2. Ch3, 1 dc in same st as joining, 2 dc into each of the next 11 back loops, join with sl st to top of ch3. (24sc)

Rnd 2: Ch2, 1 dc in same st as joining, 2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st working through antenna, 1 dc in same st not working through antenna, 1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st working through antenna, [2 dc in next st,1 dc in next st] Do this 3 times.

Note: You’ll now be working/joining the lower part of the wings to the square by working in the back loop of the wings stitches. This keeps the wings from curling up.

(Rnd 2 Continued)
1 dc in next st working in back loop of sc, 1 dc in same st working in back loop of hdc, 1 dc in next st working in back loop of dc, 1dc in next st working in back loop of tc, 1 dc in same st not working in any back loop, 1 dc in next st working in back loop of next tc, 2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st working in back loop of next tc, 1 dc in same st working in back loop of next tc, 1 dc in next st working in back loop of dc, 1 dc in working in back loop of hdc, 1 dc in same st working in back loop of sc, join with sl st to first dc. (36 dc)

Rnd 3:

Note: You will be working/joining the upper part of wing to the square.

Ch2, 2 dc in same st as joining, 1 dc in next st working in back loop of tc, 1 dc in next st working in back loop of next tc, 1 dc in same st not working in any back loop, 1 dc in next st working in back loop of next tc, 1 dc in next st working in back loop of next tc, 1 dc in same st not working in any back loop, 1 dc in next st working in back loop of next tc, [2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st] Do this 5 times, 2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st working in back loop of next tc, 1 dc in next st, working in back loop of next tc, 1 dc in same st working in back loop of next tc, 1 dc in next st working in back loop of next tc, 1 dc in next st working in back loop of next tc. 1dc in same st not working in any back loops, [1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st] Do this 5 times, 1 dc in each of the next 5 sts. (52dc)

Rnd 4: Ch1, 1 hdc in same st as joining, 1 sc in each of the next 4 sts, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, (1 tc, ch3, 1 tc) all in next st, [1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, 1 sc in each of the next 4 sts, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, (1 tc, ch3, 1 tc) all in next st] Do this 3 times, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, 1 hdc in next st, join with sl st to first hdc. (56sts)

Rnd 5: Ch1, 1 sc in same st as joining, 1 sc in each of the next 9 sts, (2 sc, ch2, 2sc) all in ch3 space, [1sc in each of the next 14 sts, (2 sc, ch2, 2 sc) all in ch3 space] Do this 3 times, 1 sc in each of the next 4 sts, join with sl st. (72sc)
Finish off and weave in ends.

Enjoy!!!!

Copyright to Amelia Beebe AKA champygirl June 17, 2009. Do not claim this pattern as your own and do not sell the pattern. It is free for a reason. Do not copy and paste pattern to another website, please use a link. You can do whatever you want with the finish item you make. You can sell the finish item, or make it for charity, or make it as a gift. Whatever floats your boat. If you do sell the item online, do not use my photo, make your own and take a picture of that.

Very cute, thank you for the pattern.

Just one question, what size is the square when done?:think

Sorry if this seems silly, but I do not do many squares, so it is hard to guage size.:hook

I do love butterflies! Crochet pattern central had the chunky butterfly bookmark listed. When I opened the link, I saw that you mentioned a chunky butterfly square so I did a search. Great work on both! Two thumbs up!!!

The wrong side is the right side as in the pic in the pattern. When joining the wings to the square are you working in into just one of the loops on the wings as in the pattern or not. If the square looks off to you, you could try turning the butterfly's body (so wrong side is towards you) and joining the wing color to the backloop (this will leave the loop towards you free) of the third dc from last sl st made with a sc, ch3, sc in next st, ch4, sc in next st, ch2 and turn.

(1dc, 5 tc, ch3, 1sc) all in ch4 space, sl st in next sc, (1 sc, 1 hdc, 1dc, 1 tc) all in ch3 space, tc in next sc, ch3, sl st in same st. Finish off and weave in ends.

Wing 2: Join the wing color to the backloop (this will leave the loop towards you free) of the 5th dc of butterfly's body from lower wing (of wing 1) with a sc, ch4, sc in next st, ch3, sc in next st, ch3 and turn.

1 tc in sc, (1 tc, 1dc, 1hdc, 1 sc) all in ch3 space, sl st in next st, (1 sc, ch3, 5 tc, 1 dc) all in ch4 space, ch2, sl st in next sc. Finish off and weave in ends.

This way you start part one of the wings on the wrong side so part two of the wings is on the rightside. I prefer the wrongside, its just my preference. I hope this helps, and I'm not confusing you. Thanks for trying the pattern out.:hook

Champygirl thanks for answer back so quick. Yes I'am follow your pattern . It's just dont look right to me the dull side and the pretty side down that shows the top of the stitches that makes a pretty trim arround butterfly.I hope I dont confuse you I do better on phone telling what promblem I'm have then on post.Do you have Yahoo massager if you do i can show you through webcam thier what I;m talking about. my handle is honkytonkmama03

Thanks Joan,:hook

I'm sorry I don't have yahoo messanger, or any type of instant messenging. Is there any way you could post a pic. For squares and bookmarks I use my scanner to get a pic. Hopefully then I can help figure out whats up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6/25/09

I just added this to the pattern:

When starting square, make sure the right side of the butterfly is facing you. You will be able to tell the difference because on the wrong side you will see the back loops left unworked. (especially where the sc are worked in from part one of the wings.) You may need to fold the wing over to get to the back loops ( of body) to do Rnd 1 of square.

I don't know if when your were working your square in if you were starting on the wrong side facing you or not, but if so hopefully this will help. I shoud've made it clear to have the right side of the butterfly facing you when starting square part. So if this was the hold up, I apologize. Happy crocheting.:hook

• 1 year later...

Archived