Patterns are off

Goldiepel

Question

I noticed many of my patterns I follow seem to be off/ or go askew somewhere along the way. Most of the time I can frog it and get it back so its unnoticable. I'm wondering if its the way I'm crocheting. (not sure if I'm explaining this correctly.)

Unless it states other wise. Front Loop or back loop. I always go through the two loops. Could this be whats throwing me off?? Since I am for the most part self taught and utube taught. lol. I'm not sure i'f i'm doing it right? (there is only one real stitch with Broomstick and thats the chain.) and my MIL re taught me that.

Thanks for your help

4 answers to this question

One way to make sure that you are not going askew is to use patterns that have a stitch count at the end of each row or round and count each row/rnd to make sure that you have the proper number of stitches for them. Just missing a few stitches here and there in your pattern will make it go wonky on you.

Unless a pattern states which loop to go through, it is generally assumed that you go through both loops. I am also self taught and watched multiple videos and tutorials to make sure I was doing it right.

Good luck with your WIP's, and be sure to share pics.

I'm not really sure if you are speaking of regular crochet, or of broomstick, or maybe both! If regular crochet, it probably is, as Carolyn said, that your stitch count varies. You may be skipping the last or first stitch of a row from time to time. If broomstick, I'm not sure at all what that could be unless you are not turning the groups of lps the same way each time before working into them, or varying the number of sc sts worked in them, or your tension is off.

And yes, always work under the top two lps unless pattern says otherwise. Could you maybe clarify the problem a bit more?

Jean Leinhauser

Archived