Color choices

mathwizard

Color choices  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Color choices

• 1. You will use the same color threads.
    • 2.You see a pattern and design.
    • 3. Colors start flashing through your head as you decide how you are going to make it.
    • 4.You ask a friend what colors would they use.

When you choose a pattern do you think:

It is a lovely doily and then you go into the planning stage. Thread choice and hook size are next but color??? What to do you?

I choose my thread colour first quite often and then go through my patterns to find one which I think will look nice in that particular colour :) it doesn't always work out for the best but I have fun with it anyway :crocheting

Many times I have a color I want to use, and I look for a pattern that will match my color. :D

But....right now I'm trying to work from my stash of thread, which is too large for my small storage area. I don't have room for more thread, and it seems wasteful not to use what I have, so...

When I see a pattern I like, I forage for thread to see what colors I have, and if there is enough for the project.

So, for me it goes both ways. Sometimes the design hits me first, sometimes the color. (I have all but given up making plain white doilies.)

If it is a multi-colored design, I stick as closely as I can to the designer's picture. It's my feeling that they've put together the best colors that blend/contrast to feature their design at its best.

If it's solid color, I consider what colors I have on hand and color scheme of the room it will be used in. If it's for a friend, I try to use a neutral color.

It depends on the design, what the project is for, and I guess, what my mood is at the time. My living area is decorated in a medium-dark rose beige with deep burgandy as accent. The doily I set out on my dining table between meals is ecru but I have a burgandy one nearly finished. And I think it's hard to go wrong with white especially if you are giving a gift. Still, a punch of unexpected color somewhere can be fun.

I know that when you look at a pattern you see the designer's colors but remember you could make it in those colors and it won't match the color schemes of your home. I usually look at the pattern and that is what catches my eye. The colors used are secondary. If I am making it for a gift them the recipients colors come into play. When I made Ididachain doily for a friend, I used her colors for making it. I made two to be used either in the bedroom with a reversable center piece which would allow her to use it as a set on her dining table. I just wish I had taken a piture of it. For my own personal use I see my colors unless I think the colors of the original pattern will work in my home.

I liked and bought the original colors for a smallish doily that absolutely will NOT go with my house, but I liked the scheme enough to get it anyway. I plan to make it someday and might give it away or I guess I might make a place somewhere in the house. Once in a while the original colors just sing and it becomes hard to move away from them successfully, at least for me. Other times I think, "That's a nice design but the colors — ewwwww!"

I choose colours that will suit the design, then think about where I could use it or who to give it to :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived