Dyeing nylon?

LadyyOftheOak

Has anyone experimented with dyeing nylon crochet cord? I have been making purses with this stuff but am having trouble finding a wide variety of colors.. I've wondered how it would take either the koolaid dye or the fabric Rit dye.. does anyone know?

Also does anyone have a link to instructions on doing this? I thought I knew but then read somethng about a microwave? :think:blush

Hi! In my experience nylon will take rit dye with pastel results. Nylon has a lot of variations in fiber texture, so you will have to experiment to see just how much dye will adhere to your particular stuff.

I have used the Omega nylon crochet cord and can find it in the local mom & pop craft shop, but have not seen it elsewhere. It is made in Mexico and is of a nice quality and variety of weights and a wide range of colors. Omega also makes nice mercerized cotton, which I found in Puerta Vallarta for a great price.

I did a quick search on eBay and found a vendor that sells the stuff for a bit less than my local shop's asking price.

http://stores.ebay.com/The-3rd-Zone-Inc

If you look around you may find a local shop that has it or can order it from a wholesaler- providing they have some info. like a label. Check Mexican specialty shops in your area.

Hope this help :-)

Jean

Archived