will dye solve "old" problem?

2needles

I feel so stupid! I recently completed a garment made out of old 70% acrylic/ 30% nylon yarn. It was supposed to be white, but in some places it is blue-grey! I've washed it thinking it was just dust, but that was not the solution. Will dyeing help? Or will it just look splotchy in different shades? Label says not to bleach. I'll try sunshine next. Any other suggestions? :think

Try a hot water wash with a little bit of laundry bluing in the water. Just enough to barely tinge the water blue. It will boost the white and brighted it up, while toning down the greys and yellows in the white. Works great on dingy socks and white t-shirts too.

EEEE-gads. I hadn't thought of laundry bluing in years nor have I used it in years. Do they still make it? I'm only 58 years old/young and first used laundry bluing when I was in my late 20s. I thought it was an old-fashioned item when I first bought it and used it. But it worked and I loved it.

I just wonder years ago when I was married to my first husband I used to use either hairspray or rubbing alcohol to dampened the ink stains on his shirt pockets. After treating the stained area I would just wash the shirts normally. No chlorine bleach. Maybe a little of the powdered non-chlorine bleach and Tide detergent. The ink stains always came out. I have used hydrogen peroxide to treat blood stains. Just straight hydrogen peroxide on the stained area and then washed the item normally. I don't know if it would work on the spoltchy areas you are talking about. But it might be worth a try. Good luck. This must be very frustrating for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Good point. Because it is synthetic, I wasn't planning on using dye. So far I've used Rit whitener and sunshine. When I find bluing, I'll try that, too. So far no change, other than that the whole thing is looking "old" because of all the washings!

I think some of the nylon just deteriorated because of age and took on a grey look. Actually, it was yarn from the inside of the skein that looks dirtiest, while outside was whiter.

Moral: Don't let yarn sit around, saying you'll get to it someday!

post-29736-135897421553_thumb.jpg

Archived