Basic Chain: Single Stitch

jokersloose

Question

Hi all,

Ok I'm just starting to try to lean how to croshet. So I'm working on my very first sc chain. I was wondering how tight should they be? Should there be a bit of tesion when I pull the hook threw or room so it glides easily to the next stitch?

I hope that makes since to someone other and than me and this is the right place to post the ?.

James

5 answers to this question

It depends of if you need to crochet to a gauge, like you would do if you were making something wearable. ie. so many stitches equal so many inches...

I myself, crochet loosely so that my hook glides through the stitches. It's a lot easier on my hands.

Basically it is however you like doing it.

As far as the beginning chain, which I think you are making, do it loosely, otherwise this row will seem shorter and not as 'stretchable' as the rest of the rows.

Nexstitch has good videos http://nexstitch.com/v_chain_stitch.html It clearly shows where the yarn should be on the hook. You want to get the yarn up onto the round part of the hook, above the slanted throat but not as far as the flat finger rest; this will make sure the loop is the right size. here are the parts of a hook http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/getting-hooked-on-crocheting.html With each stitch, you need to have the yarn come up to the shaft of the hook.

Like Autumn said, it's important not to make the chain tighter than the rest of the rows will be. Sometimes you have to use a larger hook for the chain to make it loose enough. But for now, I would just try to make the chain even and keep the loops the size of the round part of the hook.

Thanks for all the reply's. The video was wonderful. I'm sure I'll be watchign it over and over. I'm sure I'll be bugging everyone with ton's of question as I go.

Thanks,

James

Archived