Hello from WY

jokersloose

Hi all,

New here. I'm James. I have been thinking about takeing up crochet as a hobby for myself. So yesterday a lady gave me some ball's of yarn and 2 hooks. Sizes 6/G 8/h. I've never held a hook or anything. But I'm looking forward to figuring this out, and getting to know the people here.

I do have a question, I read on one web page that a single stitch dishrag is one of the best and easiest things to start on. Do y'all feel this way? Or is there something else I should work on? Don't have a ton of yarn yet. Mostly looking for something that will help me learn some basic's stitches for now. :yes

Thanks,

James

*WELCOME JAMES!* I started first by practicing chaining (for like a week~LOL!), but then YES! A dishcloth was the next thing I mastered. You can practice quite a variety of stitches with dishcloths too~sooo handy to have around and make great gifts as well!!!! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Welcome. Dishcloth sounds good. See if you have someone in your local craft store that can show you stitches or answer any questions. Also, strike up conversations in the yarn department of your favorite store, for helpful tips. Most of all HAVE FUN.

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I'm working on getting the chain down. We don't have a craft store here, I have to drive over the moutian 45 min's to get too one of the chain's. But we do have a Wal-Mart. I am sure one of the lady's from church will be willing to help me with some fo the stitches. I am really looking forward to learning and growing in this.

James

PS: My kids laugh at me when they watch me do this, not a typical male hobby. LOL

Hi all,

New here. I'm James. I have been thinking about takeing up crochet as a hobby for myself. So yesterday a lady gave me some ball's of yarn and 2 hooks. Sizes 6/G 8/h. I've never held a hook or anything. But I'm looking forward to figuring this out, and getting to know the people here.

I do have a question, I read on one web page that a single stitch dishrag is one of the best and easiest things to start on. Do y'all feel this way? Or is there something else I should work on? Don't have a ton of yarn yet. Mostly looking for something that will help me learn some basic's stitches for now. :yes

Thanks,

James

Hi James! Welcome from Northern Virginia! When I first learned, I didn't really work on a specific project, I just did chains and single crochet for a few rows, ripped that out, and kept repeating that until I got the hang of it. It really doesn't take long to get the hang of the basics, and then you'll be able to make projects such as dishrags, hats, scarves, afghans.

And a wonderful thing that exists now, and wasn't around when I was learning....YouTube. There are wonderful videos on there for every step of the way. And if one doesn't make sense, there are dozens more.

I got stuck the other day on a new pattern, spent some time on YouTube, and got unstuck.

Have fun on the 'ville!

~Nina

Hi and welcome James! I learned the chain and went on w/ a single crochet stitch afghan! Then I put it down for a few years and when I picked it up, I decided I wanted to make a nice size granny square and I couldn't remember how to do it..so believe it or not but my brother-in-law showed me! LOL!!! I had to sit directly in front of him because he was left handed and I am right..so we had a time trying to figure how to show me! So it was cool to know he knew how to make them! That was like 20 yrs ago and we still laugh about it!

Good luck!

Archived