??? about Yarn ???

Lollie2639

I buy my yarn at Wally World (Wal-Mart).

Don't think Ive ever seen wool yarn.

Where do you buy yours and is it costly.....or about like acrylic. I wanna make something and try to felt it. Thanks ya'll.

:hook

You can get Lion Brand Fisherman's wool for $5.99 for 8 ounces and also Patons has a yarn that's $5.00 a ball that's 100% wool.. You can check ebay also. Most often craft stores (AC Moore, Hobby Lobby) carry wool yarn. Wal-Mart near me doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...
does it have to be 100% wool? Or will Wool ease or something similar work? :think

It really needs to be 100 % wool in order to felt. Wool Ease won't work because it is a blend and also because it is machine washable. Have you ever had a sweater that you loved but when you washed it, it shrank so much that you couldn't wear it again? That is what felting does to the fibers. You need to use a 100 % wool that has not been specially treated to make it machine washable.

I have not seen 100 % wool at Walmart. I have only seen them carry acrylic, novelty, and cotton yarns. However, if you have a JoAnn's, I have seen them carry wool yarn that is suitable for felting. (In fact, the label on the yarn I saw there specifically indicated it was suitable for felting.) Otherwise, you may need to go to a local yarn store where you can get a 100 % wool. Cascade 220 is a brand-name that is supposed to be one of th best felting yarns. You have to make sure it is NOT the "superwash" variety of Cascade 220 however because "superwash" means it is machine washable. The clerks at your local yarn store should definitely know which yarns will felt and which ones won't.

Do you plan to felt using the washing machine or by using felting needles?

oh definitely washing machine. Anyone get the latest lionbrand catalog in the mail? They have a really nifty fulled shoulder bag in there that would be super easy to make, theirs is knitted but crocheting it would be a breeze I think :)

Where do you buy yours and is it costly.....or about like acrylic. I wanna make something and try to felt it. Thanks ya'll.

As for cost, well, it depends. I think Cascade 220 runs about 7 dollars or so per skein and I used about 3 in order to make a knit felted bag. I got the yarn at my local yarn store so may have been able to find a better deal elsewhere. The felting yarn -- I do not remember the brand name -- I have seen at JoAnn's (it's the ONLY place I've seen it otherwise) runs about $5.99 or so per skein. Not sure how much yarn you get per skein though. If you go to JoAnn's website, you can get 40 percent off coupons through the internet or in the mail. They also have lots of online specials with coupons so that's another possibility.

I really have not seen any Red Heart or Wal-mart brand yarns that will felt.

I do not buy expensive yarn very often but when you compare the price of the felting yarns with fun fur, I actually think the felting yarn is a lot more cost effective.

Noro Kureyon is another felting yarn I really would like to try as it is variegated and works up into interesting patterns.

• 2 weeks later...
hahahaha wally world every one thinks im nuts when i call walmart that its nice to here someone else say it LOL

hugs niki

we "wally world" workers call it that too ;) that or Mall Mart (people in a small town know that walmart is really a "mall" :lol) Unfortunally our yarn selection SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS but unless you customers call the 1800walmart number and gripe and moan about it, that won't change much. Call and tell them CROCHET and knitting is the THING right now dont'cha know?? Carry better yarn!! carry more variety!! (really calling does help sometimes!!, and complaints DO go through to the right person and within 24 hours they are required to do everything they are able to do (within limits of course) to make you happy!) ok ok enough about walmart :blush

xoxox

Sherry

Just a quick note about the Noro Kureyon yarn that Origami mentioned wanting to try... If you haven't used it yet, get yourself to the yarn store & buy some right now! I used it to make a felted purse & it turned out great. As other folks have mentioned, it did take a few washings to get the result I wanted, and the piece did not shrink very much at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I buy wool online. I prefer cones and I think overall you can find some pretty good deals.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bonnietriola/yarns.htm

http://www.pagelinx.com/cgi-shopper/loadpage.cgi/smileysyarns/ezshopper?user_id=id&file=iriot.htm

I just bought The unspoun White Buffalo from here to felting. It was another 50% off for a bit of time.

http://secure.elann.com/frames.asp

This place is going out of business, so you should be able to really find some bargains.

http://www.rmyarns.com/

I've ordered from all these places and they ship promptly and safely.

Archived