A Searchers serendipitous find

JHablinski

I am an unlikely crotcheter. Being an almost 60-year-old man with very long gray hair and beard I look more like a "Billy Biker" than a crocheter but now that I think about it, I don't think I know how a crocheter ought to look. My appearance came about by happenstance: the long hair started due to poverty and the beard was just laziness.

I'm retired with a few disable ties, so I was looking around for something to do with myself. I had always thought that I would be happy just lying around reading, and to a certain extent that was fairly pleasant, but there is a facet of humanity that just wants to produce something, be useful. I cast around for something I could do while watching TV. I checked various things:

* I tried to teach myself how to knit. I don't know if I was a poor student or a bad teacher, but that just didn't get me.

*I looked into papermaking. It was interesting but again it wasn't quite me.

*Fabric dying came and went. Interesting but not me.

*Sewing was something I had taught myself to do, and I enjoyed doing it, but too expensive, my sister-in-law had my machine and if I was going to buy another I would want it to have all the bells and whistles and they are not cheap. Likewise quilting. I love them and greatly appreciate their beauty. If there is a quilt show in town, I'm probably going to attend.

* Beading and jewelry making---too costly. I may take it up at some time---we'll see.

* Writing---Hummm! Every avid reader, and I'm that in spades, thinks the "Great American Novel" is lurking just below the surface waiting to get out, but nothing has bubbled up yet.

We (the royal we) were back to watching television again. As a result of the switch to digital transmission our PBS station began to broadcast the "Create" channel, and there it was: "Knit and Crochet Today". I was absolutely fascinated. I called all the big box hobby shops--- none of them offered lessons. I asked at the library--- nothing. So I sat down with the phonebook and called every yarn store in town. And there she was Ann, of "Knotty Girl Yarns". Her business card gives her position as the TOP KNOT. And, friends and neighbors that was an apt description. For a nominal fee she offered crochet lessons, which came with a rosewood hook and some yarn. I took them home with me and tried and tried and ripped it out over and over again. I was afraid I would wear the yarn out. Finally I told myself to just do it no matter how bad it looked. I am now the proud creator of the most oddly shaped potholder in town. By the time I had used up the yarn there were a few stitches which actually resembled like crochet. I was hooked. Since then I have made several Afghans, which I could unashamedly give to friends

I love it. I can do it while watching TV and do a creditable job of both. I haven’t figured out how to crochet and read at the same time, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.

WOW! All that just to say I'm glad to be here. -John Hablinski

Welcome! Though I haven't tried it yet one of my best friends swears by books on CD or tape, you could listen to your books and crochet at the same time.

Welcome! I have to say, that was the most well written, interesting introduction I have ever read - no offense to anyone intended! I look forward to seeing more of your posts, and would love to see your misshapen potholder! And of course your unshameful afghans! I also crochet while watching tv! Welcome aboard the C'Ville train! :hook

I tried to teach myself how to knit. I don't know if I was a poor student or a bad teacher, but that just didn't get me.

:rofl

Thank you for the wonderful introduction! Welcome to the 'ville!

You'll love it here! It sounds like you'll fit right in! Don't worry - there are quite a few men here! :cheer

:waving:welcome:waving

Judy

:wavingHowdee from Nashville, TN and :welcome to Crochetville. You will :heart it here. I do. :-) Wishing you many more happy days of :crocheting to come. I just love to crochet. I crochet while watching TV but I also love to crochet while listening to old time radio programs on the internet. I have been known to carry my crochet with me wherever I go even if I don't crochet. At least I have it on hand.

:welcomefrom Ga. I sit and listen to the TV while crocheting.And occassionally listen to music while I am crocheting. I have crocheted for years and the people at this site have been an inspiration with their creativity.:hook

Welcome from Virginia. Your intro (extremely well written) was read first thing in the morning with my coffee - you really know how to make a person laugh. Totally enjoyed it- you made my day. Thanks. :lol

You will love it here. Everyone is so helpful and loving. :hug

I would enjoy seeing some of your work (especially that first potholder) if you are willing to share. :hook

Archived