Knitting cotton washcloths

CLLinda

I found a pattern for a nice knitted dishcloth that I am making in Cottontots yarn. It is coming along so fast and easy.

Has anyone else knitted washcloths or dishcloths?

Any advice?

They are fast and easy to make. I'm already in the 20's of the rows, and I only started it today.

:manyheart

I made a number of the pattern on the Peaches & Creme ballband but they are too thick to me with all the slip stitches although they are fun to knit. For daily use I really prefer the old granny dishcloth which is knit on the diagonal with YOs near the edges. Simple, holds up well and you can knit one in your sleep! :lol I've made a jillion of them and use them constantly. In fact, I really need to give some away. They don't do anyone any good sitting in my "give away" drawer.

Here's one of my Peaches & Creme Ballband Dishcloths. Pretty, but heavier than I like:

post-11235-135897412174_thumb.jpg

I love my dish cloths! I use them for everything. I found out the other day that they work well to clean your windows. I haven't bought dish cloths or sponges for many years because these are far better than what you can buy. I don't like to do dishes but atleast I can make up some that are pretty or fun to look at. They also make nice gifts. I also have learned many knitting stitches buy making cloths. I always try to pass this info on...after you wash your dishes, rinse the cloths well then put in your microwave for 1 min. and there is never an odor problem.

I love the dishcloth patterns, I have used them with ww yarn and made blankets, some of the detailing in the dishcloth patterns are great to use for baby blankets!

Love 'em! I include them in all my swap packages now. And I love to use the patterned ones to make blankets. I just finished an animal-themed blanket using various knit dishcloth patterns from the web. They go so fast, much faster than a knit blanket, and then a crocheted edge keeps them from rolling.

Patty

My diagonal ones come out so lopsided! I guess I need more practice. I did a picture washcloth and it just took TIME because each row has to be exact or the picture doesn't turn out. All in all, I like to crochet them better.

Denise, sometimes I think to microwave my wet cloths but most of the time I don't remember. When you steam out the water that way they dry faster and don't sit soggy on the sink.

One of the nice things about using them is that after a few trips through the washer and dryer all the agitation makes your stitches smooth out perfectly. They look like you knit without flaw, LOL! I just kind of wish kitchen cotton came in DK or sport size. I would like a still-thinner cloth than even the granny pattern makes. Below is a stack of finished granny cloths. Well, all but one are finished. On the very top one I'm hiding the loose ends which need to be worked into the stitches. Some of these are from more than one ball of yarn. It doesn't take a full ball to make a cloth but then I have all these little bits left over. You can just mix 'em up into a new dishrag.

post-11235-135897412909_thumb.jpg

Hey Carla,

When I crochet I've started to make dish cloths with 2-3 strands of No. 10 cotton thread held together. It is a little thinner than kitchen, and has better scrubbiness (is scrubbiness a word?) I'm sure it would work just as well for knitting.

K

My husband brought home a large cone of cotton string, probably size 3 for his golf outting. It was just sitting on the table so I thought it was for me to crochet with, and he tells me that I need to cut 25 pieces of it to be 4 and a half feet long.

Here, I am thinking I'm getting cotton thread and it had a totally different purpose.

O well, that's a husband for you.

:manyheart

Linda - oh how funny, I would have thought the same thing, more yarn for me! Well maybe there will be some leftovers.

appy lover - I had seen patterns for cloths using #10 thread and was thinking about trying it because I agree with Carla. Sometimes the cloths are bigger than I want so I use them for the counter and table and then the round spiral scrubbies for my dishes. Guess I need to find my thread pattern!

What pattern did you use for your dishcloths. They are beautiful. I love all of the colors. Seeing your pretty dishcloths is making have to try knitting some.

Crystal

Denise, sometimes I think to microwave my wet cloths but most of the time I don't remember. When you steam out the water that way they dry faster and don't sit soggy on the sink.

One of the nice things about using them is that after a few trips through the washer and dryer all the agitation makes your stitches smooth out perfectly. They look like you knit without flaw, LOL! I just kind of wish kitchen cotton came in DK or sport size. I would like a still-thinner cloth than even the granny pattern makes. Below is a stack of finished granny cloths. Well, all but one are finished. On the very top one I'm hiding the loose ends which need to be worked into the stitches. Some of these are from more than one ball of yarn. It doesn't take a full ball to make a cloth but then I have all these little bits left over. You can just mix 'em up into a new dishrag.

My first completed knitted item was a simple dishcloth. I then made a few picture dishcloths. I use dishcloths for everyday. We use the dishwasher, but I like them to have ready to wipe counters, spills etc. Most of mine are crochet, but as time goes I will make more knitted ones. They are quick and give that sense of accomplishment and are useful to boot!

I have quite a few crocheted ones but again, they are thicker than the knitted ones. I use them in the bathrooms where I don't handle them very much before they go into the laundry.

Archived