Crocheting with Recycled T-Shirts

RecycleCindy

I just recently completed my first handbag purse using old recycled tee-shirts. It has taken me a while to finish this purse as the cutting and crocheting with tee-shirt yarn or T-yarn is a bit tedious. After finishing this project, I discover that crocheting with recycled t-shirt yarn is becoming popular on several sites. At Ravelry, there is even a special group where members focus on crocheting and knitting with tee-shirts to create beautiful projects.

So check out my first T-yarn project and here is my free crochet pattern link if you'd like to try your hand at T-yarn crocheting. :crocheting

post-10977-135897411093_thumb.jpg

Wow!!! That is one nice bag.... never heard of crocheting with old tee shirts. Thanks so much for sharing !!!!

You did a wonderful job on the bag. Just beautiful. :cheer

When I was a little girl, (????) :lol there was an 80 yr old woman who's son worked in a garment factory and he would bring her bags of t-shirt strips.

She would roll them into balls and she would make these wonderful rag rugs that were very popular back then, must have been around 1960, I'm thinking, cause I was around 9 yrs old. :D

I used to go to her house and do some housecleaning for her and I just loved to watch her crochet those rugs. That's how she supplimented her income and she couldn't make them fast enough. People were constantly buying her rugs. She would make them in whatever size and color her customers wanted. I think that's when I must have been smitten with the "crochet bug.":hook

She didn't teach me to crochet, but from then on, I had a craving to learn to crochet and make something so beautiful and that other people would appreciate.

Oops....sorry for the long story, the mention of t-shirt strips just brought back a flood of memories for me. Anyway, your bag really is beautiful. Sometimes, the extra effort is worth the end result. :manyheart

You did a wonderful job on the bag. Just beautiful. :cheer

Oops....sorry for the long story, the mention of t-shirt strips just brought back a flood of memories for me. Anyway, your bag really is beautiful. Sometimes, the extra effort is worth the end result. :manyheart

Thank you for sharing your unique story. I so enjoyed hearing it. Thanks to everyone who commented on my T-yarn project. Sometimes I worry if people are interested in my different recycled items and it was so wonderful to receive all your replies for this post. Thanks again for being such a wonderful bunch of friends. This truly is a very special group of people here and I love you all! :hug

so i have a question for you since plastic bag yarn is plarn does that make tee shirt yarn tarn or trope as in tee-rope lol inquiring minds need to know :lol

People over at Raverly are referring to the yarn that is created from tee-shirts as t-yarn and tarn. I'm excited to see all the cool projects that people are creating from t-yarn. One new technique is to cut a tee-shirt that does not have side seams around and around. Then you take the strips and gently pull on it and this causes the strips to curl in on itself. You end up with a circular type yarn. I just made some yesterday and it's really cool looking. I want to start crocheting with this t-yarn on some new projects and will share them here soon.

That is awesome, when i saw your bag i was like noooooooo i just trew away all old t shirt from my girls lol, that idea is just super I love it!

i love this idea and am going to start right away gathering t shirts to make my mother a rug...i hope to have it done by Christmas...i think i am first going to gather the shirts in color like groups and then made a color wave in the rug...i know my mom will love it. thanks for sharing this with us. i am going to check out the group on raverly also.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for sharing this! I was just cleaning out some closets and kept wondering if there was a way to recycle some of those outgrown clothes!

Love your idea of cutting the garments in rounds to give you more "yarn" to work with!

You gave me such wonderful inspiration for new projects!!

Archived