How long does it take you to finish an afghan?

I supposed you could get one done in a week, if you really want to. Personally I like to sleep at night, and see daylight outside of my apartment occasionally. If it were me I'd box up pictures of my favorite 2-3 afghans to make, and let the happy couple choose the colors and pattern from the options provided. Thereby giving yourself plenty of time, and making sure they choose something they really love and treasure.

I might make up the kitchen stuff so they have a gift that day. 2-3 washclothes, a hanging towel, and a few hot pads go quickly and make good take along projects.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FOREVER!!!:lol I don't get to crochet non-stop; just a little here & there, & how ever much time I am spending w/ DH in the ER or Hospital (which fourtunatly lately has not been happening).

It to me 5 months to do a 40x60 HDC VStitch afghan for my FIL. But since then I have discovered Aggie May's RR:yay - I've completed 2 @ 65"+. I think they took me 1.5-2 months. I think I've been pushing myself more since discovering the magic of the RR:blush

Taking a break now; bibs take me 1.5 hrs. I wish I could crochet faster. I love to watch other crocheters & knitters fingers flying!:crocheting

I think the 'ghan will be done in time. It's with chunky yarn, and a simple stitch for me, HDC. Just making semi random stripes with black and red between them. Then I'll take my time and have a kitchen set for them closer to the day of the reception.

• 4 months later...

To long :) ... I made the mistake of trying a sc ripple wide enough for a single bed.

After 4 1/2 one pounders, I'm still going.. and going.. and going.

In the meantime I've whipped out two hats, a scarf, three dish rags, 2 seraphina shaws, one set of yo-yos (just to see what it would look like), 4 itty bitty bags, a cat toy, and 6 rows of a the Amish hearts quilt...

Oh and a slipper (don't ask - its only one... I put it down and never got around to making the second)

no.. I'm not motivated to get the sc afghan done at all - does it show?

• 2 weeks later...

It takes me from several days or longer depending on a pattern and how many color changes I do to weave all the ends in. Now since I got Aggie Mays round ripple afghan pattern I can really got most of the work done fast I been known to get half of it done in one night. I usually only crochet at night with TV on or if I have to wait for my dad at the doctor's office. And it also depends on how my hands feel at the time. Sometimes my crochet mode is full speed ahead.

• 4 months later...

I took 3 months of crocheting to finish my mom 2009 xmas afghan I get distracted easily (adult acquired ADD!) right now i"m working on "scraps" (not really lol) afghan its already almost lapghan size and it only been a month yay me (reason= different fun colors and textures made me want to keep going until it run out just to start new color haha perfect huh?)

The last afghan I finished was the "Snowflakes Throw" by Tammy Hildebrand. It took me longer than I wanted because I had to get more yarn and wait to recieve it :-) Finished all but 5 motifs in a week and a half, the afghan finished 45 by 52 ish.

:mug:cat:yarn

It can take me a week or so for a baby afghan and maybe a month for a full-sized one. Unless life gets in the way, then it can be a lot longer!

:manyheart

I have been working on this RR ghan for my son forever now (actually it's only been a few months). I dont work on it every day because I am bored with it. I want to finish it off and call it done, but my son keeps reminding me that I promised to make it large enough to cover his bed (twin size). It's such a simple pattern and I dont have to count, but I am seriosly so bored with it that I am having trouble getting it done.

I was wondering how many hours per day do you all crochet? I work full time, so I dont get to crochet until I get home in the evenings and I get so relaxed when I start that I have to go to bed! lol

• 4 weeks later...

If I am going to just crochet on the afghan and not hop between projects, then I would say most patterns can be done in a week. Round Ripples go a little quicker and some of the more intensive patterns a little longer. I have a half-finished afghan sitting in my project box that has been there for months. I keep pushing it aside to do other things. When I get around to it, I will be able to finish it in a few days, but it just hasn't called out to me yet. :)

The next afghan I want to do is the Moorish Mosaic and it looks like it may take me longer. Still, I should be able to finish it in a couple of weeks (again -- if I am not hopping between projects).

I have finished an afghan in two days. But that was working on it almost compulsively and experiencing some serious insomnia.

yup depending on the size, Pattern, Complexity of the ghan,

If it's a simple baby afghan.. mabey a day or 2

if it's a simple regular size afghan week

larger afghans take me 2 weeks or longer.. and it also depends on how much time i get to work on it.

Depends on the size and complexity. A regular baby afghan is usually less than two weeks. My longest was 14 months, I worked on it diligently and I estimate it took over 2200 hours. It was embrochet, with 82 tunisian blocks that were fully covered in a cross stitch design, flanked all around the edge in crocheted hearts. All of the color on the blocks is cross stitch embroidery, which is what required most of the time involved, not the crochet.

post-38362-135897526366_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Depends really - how big the afghan is, how much free time I have, etc. The baby blanket I made only took about 10 days and it was my first ever project. My son's afghan, which entirely covers his single bed, took a couple of weeks.

I've just started an afghan for my own double bed, so that will take longer, but I think I'm already motoring on with it. I have about 25 central circles made, three of them have the mid grey rounds completed, and one has the final dark grey round finished. I'll be joining as I go, so those three mid-grey squares will be joined as I crochet the final dark grey round, which will take no time at all. Then I just have to keep going. :)

Most of the afghans I make go to children's hospitals or other programs

for kids. These have a size limit set by those who receive them. Most

are 45" square. I can create one in 3-5 days.

Archived