Knitting Abbreviations

CLLinda

I was working on a bootie for the first time yesterday and I got stuck on an abbreviation. I read PSSO and in the back it said to PASS SLIP STITCH OVER. I was at our knitting/crochet group and our resident knitters were not there to give me a hand. I didn't know what the pattern meant. So I put it away and crocheted a baby bonnet.

I called my friend later and she explained it to me.

Sometimes, a picture or something to explain what it was would be helpful.

I'm just learning and some of the abbreviations drive me nuts.

What's your opinion?

After being a crocheter forever, knitting is a new language for me!

:manyheart

I picked up some of the abbreviations in knitting easier because I was familiar with so many in crochet, but PSSO wasn't one of them. There's a video on that on knittinghelp.com if you still need more help. It's tricky for me to get that slipped stitch off the needle without letting the one in front of it fall off. They make it look so effortless in the video. PSSO is in the cami I'm working on now so I'll be getting some practice in.

What about M1A? I always read that as "missing in action." :lol

I'm in on a Mystery Sock KAL and the stitch was a dcdec. I thought that I was crocheting again.. (dcdec - double centered decrease ~ SL2tog, k1, p2sso)

That abbreviation sounds like something someone made up. It sounds too crazy to do.

But I am sure that after a while, I will be able to do these instructions too.

:manyheart

Archived