adding more chains or reducing

Cinlee

Question

Hi,

I would like to know, if I have a baby blanket that is to large in size and I want it to be smaller, what is the method I use so that I can reduce its size, without it comeing out ...umm, not correctly for any certain amount of chains once I get to the end to turn. I hope I make sense, :blush

Thank you!

CinLee

2 answers to this question

it depends on the type of pattern you are doing. I belive you are asking, "how can i make the same blanket, but smaller in size?" If its just a little too big, you may try using a smaller hook and following the pattern as is. If its a lot too big, then it will depend on what the pattern repeat is, how many chains to decrease.

:hook Just make a long chain and work as many repeats as you want, along that chain. Stop at the end of a repeat and finish as per the instructions, anywhere on that chain.

EG: If the pattern says 1DC into 3rd CH from hook, 1DC into next 2CH, *miss next CH, 1DC into next 3CH* Repeat *to* ending the row with miss next CH, 1DC into last 3CH. CH 3 Turn. Just do the repeat as many times as you wish then stop, ending with the 3DC. Clear as mud?:think

You can cut the remainder of the chain off about 6 ch from where you stopped, then carefull unpick the extra ch to neaten. Then just carry on as you would for the full sized rug, making sure you do just the length you need.

I always add a few stitches when I do a long chain as I hate getting back to the end and finding I do not have enough.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:cheer

Archived