12 inch circulars

CLLinda

I would like to find a place to order some 12 inch circular needles, so I can make preemie hats. Do you know of any place that doesn't charge $7 for shipping?

A couple of places I have found do carry them, but then they add about $7 for shipping and that doesn't seem right.

Any help would be appreciated.

:manyheart

Sorry, I don't know of anyplace offhand, but I will tell you that I bought an Addi in this size from my LYS and didn't like it after all. Actually, I think DPNs are much easier to use. And once you get up into the tiny crown where you do all the decreasing and work the hat off the needles you will still have to use DPNs. That's my preference but it may not be yours.

Hey, do you want my 4.5 mm 12" Addi? It's yours if you want that size. PM me!

Thank you, HomekeepingGran, for the 12 inch circular that you sent me. I will be giving it a try really soon, after the pink sweater set is completed. Thanks so much!

:manyheart

If you ever do need more needles, http://www.yarn.com has a reasonable shipping charge. Only $3.50 I think. They ship to me pretty fast. The only brand I know of that they sell that has circular needles that short would be the Addi Turbo. I've had to buy most of my needles online because my LYS is forever saying "we're waiting for our shipment to come in". And the shipment never comes in! LOL Please do let us know how you make out with them. I'm curious. I have a pair of the 16 inchers and find them difficult enough to work with! I'm guessing you really do have to work in the round for baby hats. They wouldn't like a seam in their hats.

Just wanted to suggest both the methods of 2 circular needles and magic loop for those small circles. I just finished a class teaching socks on 2 circular needles and then had to teach myself magic loop so I could do them all. I like both methods better than DPNs which I am pretty sure will be the bain of my existance if I have to make anything else on them.

There are some good tutorials on knittinghelp.com and neither technique was difficult. I am just learning the basics and I picked up both easily by watching her you tube videos.

I think I might try magic loop instead of DPNs sometime but I don't particularly like 2 circs, although it's doable. Maybe the wonderful, flexible KnitPicks cables would make magic loop really easy!

So you like the knitpicks cables? Good to know. I have a pair of Addi turbos that I love, but was curious what else worked well. With our LYS going out of business, I will need to order my needles online from now on. I am just not a fan of the boye needles they carry at out Joannes & Michaels.

DPN's I love you, don't get me wrong. you're fun to work with and the looks I get when working with you are hilarious! "You're using 5 needles! OMG you must be uber-talented, I bow before you"

BUT....

Magic loop is so much neater and is better for carry-around projects. It's hard to wrap your head around the idea until you actually try it. You can use almost any length over 29" for the smaller size projects. I had to watch the video off of http://www.knittinghelp.com to figure it out as I cannot for the life-o'-me figure out the written explanations.

Archived