Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'sagebrush'.
Found 1 result
After about half a month of aggravation (on and off), I've finally finished this scarf/mittens set for my bf's mom. It's a late Chanukkah gift, but better late than never! And here's how it looks when worn (by me): I've been knitting for years but didn't truly learn to crochet til 2 months ago, when I stumbled onto the craft of amigurumi, little crocheted critters. This is my first big crochet project. The hardest, most time-consuming part was figuring out where to put the flowers. Every time I got it wrong I had to unravel each flower cause I was attaching the motifs by connecting the tips and ends of each petal to the work. I started off thinking maybe I'd do a fringe on either end (6 flowers each, 3 on the right side and 3 on the wrong side): But that looked a bit strange when worn and was quite bulky since I had to double up the flowers to not have a blatant wrong side to the scarf. So I decided in the end to spread the flowers out, two on either end, and one on each mitten: That looked fun without being cluttered. I'm quite satisfied! Well, before this post gets too long, here's the yarn/hook info and the patterns/stitches/motifs I used (I combined a couple): I used the Sagebrush Capra DK Yarn from KnitPicks for this project. It's an absolutely beautiful, super soft, merino cashmere yarn, and I was lucky enough to get it during their holiday sale! This has become by far one of my favorite yarns! I love how the merino keeps projects sturdy while the cashmere makes them ridiculously soft and a joy to wear. Highly recommended! My hook size varied from item to item and stitch to stitch. The primrose-stitch scarf body was crocheted with a 3.5 mm hook, the flowers with a 3.75 mm hook for rows 1-2 and a 3.25 mm hook for row 3 (cause that helped them lay flatter), and both the ribbing and fan-stitch on the mittens with a 3.5 mm. Here is a close-up of the primrose stitch on the scarf (tutorial found here): Here is a close-up of the fan-stitch and ribbing on the mittens (pattern for the mittens found here): I didn't follow the pattern for the mittens exactly cause I found it made mittens that were abnormally long and tight. I made adjustments accordingly. Also, be warned, the thumb-hole instructions are poorly written. I couldn't quite follow along and had to make up my own thumb holes. Finally, the flowers. These are a motif pattern found in Beyond the Square: 144 circles, hexagons, triangles, squares, and other unexpected shapes by Edie Eckman. It's a fantastic book if you're just starting out with motifs. Lots of patterns to try and once you get a couple down, you know the general gist of things and can start making your own. Anyways, thanks for checking out this project and reading/skimming through my ramblings! Happy Holidays! - Di